Thursday, October 14, 2010

Still here

Sorry for the lack of updates this past week. It has been a week of adjustments. This is the first week that we haven't had one of our moms here to help. It has been great to have them so willing to lend a hand for the past month, but it's time that we start to operate as a family of four again (before we add Emily as number five!). Logan and Audrey need that normalcy again. Over the past few weeks, Logan had been crying at random times and was concerned every time I'd leave, and Audrey was waking during the night screaming and saying "I want my Mommy!" They may be young, but they know something's up. This week has been good for the four of us to get back into "normal" again.

However, things are anything but normal around here.

I have been pumping every 3 hours around the clock to provide breastmilk for Emily. I know how important it is for her, but I'm about ready to throw that pump out the window! A machine just isn't anything like a baby. This past week I ran into some problems that made me sore, cranky, and irritable. I'll spare the details, but thankfully things are much better after meeting with my lactation consultant.

Besides that, we have all been tired, achy, and sniffly, so we've stayed away from the hospital all week.

Then tonight both Logan and Audrey got the stomach flu. Ugh!

We are all exhausted and under the weather. I feel like hibernation is in order.

Emily, on the other hand, is doing FABULOUS! Here I go on and on about our aches and sniffles, while our superstar Emily continues to thrive. Can I brag a little?
  • Emily is now 4 lbs. 3 oz!!

  • They have started giving her a bottle by mouth and she is drinking like a champ, taking whole bottles (30ccs) at a time! I thought they'd have to start with drops in the mouth or something while she learned to swallow, but she acts like she's been doing this forever! I can't wait 'till we're healthy enough to visit so I can try nursing her or giving her a bottle myself!

  • She is now in an open-air crib since she can maintain her temperature on her own. Can't wait to see her without a lid!

  • She has a couple de-sats every day, but she's pulling herself out of most of them without intervention.

  • She is still on oxygen but it is at only 21%, the same as room air. The nurses think she still needs a little reminder to breathe during her deep sleep cycles (when she has her de-sats), but they might try to take the oxygen off next week.

I can't wait to visit Emily again and feel guilty for not being there this week. We'd just hate to give her any nasty germs. Pray that we will all regain our health and strength (and that Luke and I will escape the flu!) so that we can visit and encourage Emily. And praise God that she's still doing great, even without us there.

More updates with pictures to come soon, I promise!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish Mom's could be in two places sometimes, but we can't! you are doing your best in a tough situation. Just keep following your heart and leave the details up to God! You are doing great and He loves you even more than You love Your kids! Amazing Love, how can it be?

Kara Brown said...

Thanks for the update, Kim! Will be praying for health to return to your family and still praying for little Emily. Love reading your updates!
--Kara

Heather said...

Oh Kim I can't WAIT to hear about the first time you are able to nurse her! I am so thankful to hear about her growth and progress and pray for a fast recovery for the rest of you!

((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys! Hope you're on the mend and getting back on your feet. Thinking of you and praying that you all feel well soon. Praying that Emily continues to grow, grow, grow! :)

Love,
Jenn

Larry said...

Kim,
I am a complete stranger, but we share a love for our Lord Jesus and a strong belief that prayer changes things. Have enjoyed your updates and little Emily is on my prayer list.