Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Good Report


Good news to report: Emily's leg is looking much better today! The doctors have had her on 3 different antibiotics since Saturday, trying to find the right one to treat the infection, but it looks like they have found one that works. I was delighted to see how much better her leg looks today. We're also thankful that they caught this infection before it spread anywhere else.

Emily's vitals have been very stable and her de-sats today haven't been as low -- only into the 80s instead of the 50s-60s. Emily also had her first eye exam this morning and everything looked good. When we spoke to her doctor this afternoon, he said she is doing very well.

Emily looked chubbier to me today (as "chubby" as a 3 lb. baby can look!). The more I visit her, the more normal her size looks to me. I saw a newborn last week at church who looked absolutely huge! I guess everything is relative. They have increased Emily's feedings to 28ccs (almost 1 oz.) every 3 hours and she now weighs 3 lbs. 4 oz. Keep growing, baby girl.

A few of you have asked how I am doing with all this. Mostly, I'm doing well. I am very thankful for the good days, but I am equally as aware that anything could change quickly. I want to be hopeful but prepared. It's a tricky balance. I do feel more peace about all of this than I thought I would, though. I think life's circumstances have been teaching me to let go and trust that God has this all in His hands. (I wouldn't even know how to control all of this if I wanted to... this is a little out of my realm!)

That said, these past few days I have been worried about the infection in Emily's leg. I found myself, for the first time with Emily, concerned about her future and where this infection would lead. I didn't know exactly what to pray for or how to ask God to heal Emily's leg, but the chorus that kept coming to mind was this:

Hear our prayer, O Lord.
Hear our prayer, O Lord.
Incline thine ear to us.
And grant us thy peace.


Thankfully, Emily's leg appears to be fine, and we are grateful for God's healing act on her behalf. Thank you for your continued prayers for Emily and for our family. You lift us up and verbalize our requests when we aren't even sure what to pray for ourselves. Your prayers are sustaining all of us and providing us with peace. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And join us in praising God for another good report!

3 comments:

Kathy Cragin said...

Oh, precious girl, keep growing, keep growing! You are such a special little gift in so many ways, ways you will never even understand until you become a mommy yourself. You've been put into an unbelievable family and your Mommy is one of the most amazing mommies I have ever known. Grow, baby girl, grow - you've got an amazing family to grow into.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all!
-Alicia kayser

Unknown said...

Our little girl is ONE MONTH old today! Yeah, Emily! It sounds like she is gaining a little weight each day and continues to fight to get off of all the machines and tubes. I am getting SO EAGER to spoil that little girl :-) And it will be so fun to see Logan and Audrey's reactions to a new addition to the family. You all remain in my daily prayers.
Love you all.
Mom "Nanny" De Groot