Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mommy spa

In honor of Mother’s Day this weekend, I got a spa treatment today.  A full spa treatment, complete with manicure, pedicure, massage, makeup application, and hairstyle.  I bet you’re all jealous.

My technician for the treatments was Logan, and the “spa” was his school gym.  We had 8 stations to cycle through with 6 minutes per station.  Calm and relaxing.  Logan greeted me by handing me a water bottle with my name on it (in his handwriting).  He was excited to see me.  At our first table, the refreshment table, he brought me a slice of shortcake with raspberries.  All the raspberries fell to the floor as he handed me the plate, but said I didn’t care and ate them anyway.  The gym floor is cleaned daily, right?  I didn’t eat much of the shortcake because Logan claimed he was hungry and wanted a bite or two… or most of it.

My mommy makeover went into full swing in the next few stations.  Logan applied my blue eye shadow and pink blush with the great concentration and skillfully mixed three lipstick shades to create the perfect hue.  The pedicure took me a bit by surprise when he applied the blood-red nail polish not only to my toenails but also to my toes themselves and even in between my toes.  I can truly say this was a one-of-a-kind treatment, and the final effect was nothing short of a “I just walked barefoot through shards of glass” appearance.  (And all the while I was biting my tongue since I had just painted my toenails this morning.) 

The manicure was a bit better.  Hot pink was his color of choice, and for the first time I didn’t have to worry about chipping my nails post-manicure since each nail had only a haphazard stripe down the middle giving it the “I’ve had this same nail polish on for weeks” look.  After the polish dried, Logan treated me to a hand massage, but the huge bottle of Lavender-scented lotion (sunblock?) refused to rub into my skin, so I removed most of it with a kleenex (although the scent remained).  At the hair station, Logan lovingly brushed my hair.  All hygiene aside, I could have remained at that station for rest of the afternoon, but then Logan pulled out the aerosol hairspray and started spraying.  In one spot.  He didn’t move the can until I had hairspray dripping down my neck and I gently encouraged him to “move it around a little, honey.”  (He moved it to the other side of my head and created another crunchy section).  A few plastic barrettes and a child-sized blue headband and my mommy makeover was complete.

Logan was so proud of his work.  He was especially proud when we got home and Audrey oohed and aahed over how beautiful I looked.  She couldn’t believe Logan did it all by himself.  And when I tried to take off the too-tight headband that was giving me a headache, they assured me it was necessary to leave it on to show Daddy when he got home.

My favorite moment of the spa treatment, however, was the reading station.  Logan picked out the book You Read to Me, and I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together.  We took turns reading the lines back and forth down the pages of the stories.  It was dramatic and funny and enjoyable for both of us. 

We had a great hour of quality time together, creating a memory.  Makeover and all. :)

DSC_0329

DSC_0331

DSC_0334


1 comment:

Crystal said...

Love it! The kindergartners at my old school did the same thing every Mother's Day! I laughed through your whole post!