Thursday, September 16, 2010

Nine days old and doing great!


Here's our precious little Emily. She is 9 days old today and doing great! Isn't her hat adorable?! Thanks to my friend Kathy who sent it to me along with some super cute preemie clothes. Thanks, Kath!

See how tiny she is? My hand covers her whole back! Emily has been liking sleeping on her tummy with her little bum up in the air. I think it's adorable.



We have been so encouraged with Emily's progress. So far, we haven't had any setbacks or problems. They have been taking down her oxygen and she is breathing fine. In fact, on Tuesday one of the nurses started her shift and saw that Emily's nose cannula was off and lying above her head. She told us that she thought to herself, "I can't believe those doctors took her off her oxygen and didn't even tell us!" but actually Emily had taken it off herself. The nurse said that she had it off for a while and no alarms went off or anything, so she is really able to breathe all on her own! :)

Emily lost a little weight, as all babies do after they are born, and was down to 2 lbs. 7.5 oz. on Tuesday, but as of today she is back up to 2 lbs. 10 oz., only one ounce shy of her birthweight of 2 lbs. 11 oz. Yay! She has been tolerating her feedings really well so far. They started her at 1.5cc of breastmilk (I'm pumping every 2.5-3 hours around the clock so she can have all the benefits of breastmilk) and since then has moved up to 3cc ... 6cc ... 8cc ... and now is up to 11cc per feeding. The nurses give it to her through a tube that goes directly to her stomach. She has even had a few poops now, which is a great sign!


Luke and I have both been able to hold Emily a few times already. I love having her in my arms, feeling her move and breathe against me. Yesterday my mom also got to hold Emily which was a special treat for her.


Thanks again for all your prayers, emails, meals, and support. We are touched and blessed by how many people are lifting us up during this time. Please keep praying that Emily will grow and remain healthy. We praise God for what he has already done in her life, and we rest in the promise that we are all in the palm of His hand and never out of His care.

I'll leave you with one last picture of me holding Emily. Peek-a-boo, baby! We love you.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good birthday celebrating with Luke and Emily in the hospital and with Logan and Audrey at home. It was a very precious moment for me to hold Emily yesterday. I praise God for many answered prayers. Mom DeGroot

Unknown said...

Dear Darlings:

I love this blog! I already see Luke's face?:)

I am baby crazy and wishing mine would stay newborns! I'm not even encouraging Rex to crawl!

You guys are so blessed to have her as an extra small package for some time!!!! I love new life, I'm a little jealous that you have one that still enjoys being swaddled in a blankie!

All of a sudden Audrey is a "big girl!"

Unknown said...

One more thing!!!! The hat is just TOO ADORABLE! I'm having Audrey headband flash backs!

Anonymous said...

"Audrey headband flashbacks" from the previous comment makes me smile! Did she not have the cutest little headbands with the biggest brightest flowers?!! :) So happy to see these pictures of precious little Emily and her little self being held by those who love her so dearly. Praying for you all and giving thanks to God for His goodness thus far!

Love,
Jenn